Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG)
Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) is a framework of non-financial performance indicators that facilitate the evaluation of an organization’s combined conscientiousness and commitment towards its stakeholders, and the environment and communities in which it operates.
As a healthcare market leader in the country, Bupa Arabia is dedicated to implementing ethical and sustainable approaches and strategies in keeping with international standards while actively aligning with Saudi Vision 2030, which is a blueprint for ensuring that sustainability lies at the heart of everything the Kingdom does. We ensure that sustainability is adopted into activities and operations at every level of the Organization, with a focus on having a prominent impact on community members and the environment.
Although our environmental influences may be limited, Bupa Arabia strongly believes that a positive impact on the environment can only be achieved by adopting a proactive approach. The Company commenced building its strategic sustainability framework in collaboration with AccountAbility, a top-class global consulting and standards firm with over 35 years of experience in ESG consulting, assessed the current state of sustainability practices (Materiality Assessment) and determined the material sustainability topics for Bupa Arabia’s business.
The sustainability work streams are the following:
- ESG Health Check
- Materiality Assessment
- GHG Calculation
The conclusion of the assessment shall serve as the foundation in building Bupa Arabia’s sustainability strategy in the next coming years.
Bupa Arabia’s collaborative effort with the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Development (MOHRSD) enables us to further contribute to communities in a positive manner. Our One for One funding, which matches employee contributions with the Company’s funds for charitable projects, in addition to wellness, care and health initiatives are some of the ways in which support is extended.
Our CSR projects, such as Live Right activities, diversity and inclusion, internship programs, partnerships with MOHRSD, the Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF) and universities enhance fresh graduates’ skills and competencies, thus gearing them for greater job opportunities, which is highly commendable. These partnerships led us to train 300 graduates, while 70 of those were hired after the program.
Some of Bupa Arabia’s projects and initiatives include:
- Providing free health insurance to 2,000+ orphans residing in foster and care homes managed by MOHRSD. This project has been ongoing since 2011.
- Annual blood donation drives that are held in our 4 main offices by the Ministry of Health (MOH).
- An annual Ramadan initiative where we provided 2,500 gifts amongst different beneficiaries.
- The Tamheer cooperative training program – a support and assistance program for job seekers that provides training opportunities in various fields.
- Participation in job career fairs to support job seekers in finding opportunities at Bupa Arabia.
- Hosting students' visits to Bupa Arabia HQ, to educate them about the nuances of the work environment and support their quests in finding suitable job opportunities.
In 2021, a few initiatives that were geared towards the efficient management of water and electricity consumption were developed and implemented. And in 2022, the Company continued implementing such initiatives by:
- Swapping conventional lighting with LEDs and installing water aerators at sales branches
- Installing timers within air conditioner and lighting panels in all Bupa Arabia buildings, thus, contributing to the reduction of building operation hours and energy consumption.
Employment Relations and Diversity
Bupa Arabia continued promoting healthy employee relations and maintaining diversity over the course of the year.
- Talent Councils
The biannual talent councils with Operations, Sales, Risk and Finance teams, in the presence of the Chief Executive Team (CET), selected Senior Manager Teams (SMTs), and with the support of the HR Leadership Teams to help resolve all problems, resulted in a marked improvement in employee morale and overall interactions and relations with their senior management.
- Female Inclusion
Achieved female representation targets within the workforce, across the entire staff and management.
Building Community Relations
Bupa Arabia has launched a series of initiatives to further facilitate access to insurance, including through the introduction of instalment payment solutions for micro-SMEs and individuals, and supplemental flexible financial solutions for SMEs.
The Company has also prioritized the advancement of insurance literacy and awareness by providing clients with all the necessary information they need to make informed decisions.
At Bupa Arabia, we consider our business partners/suppliers to be among the most integral contributors towards the success of the business. As such, the Company has focused on establishing and maintaining strong relations with them, especially within the localities.
Some of the significant achievements in this regard include:
- Concentrating on the requirements of local suppliers instead of overseas vendors.
- Granting local SMEs the opportunity to bid to strengthen relationships. We aim to achieve this by supporting their progress and development, and implementing enhanced motivational strategies.
- Focusing on cost saving methods.
- Sharing requests for proposals (RFPs) with various local suppliers.
Bupa Arabia has also worked on implementing the strategies listed below to maintain the longevity of supply chain with marked results from its inception;
- Implementation of a demand planning function, to strengthen the supply chain that allows to provide timely and uninterrupted care for clients
- Revision of supply chain contracts for revamping Bupa Arabia’s key clients’ stations in hospitals, contributing to an excellent client experience through a wide range of products and services
- Application of proactive warehousing arrangements for bulky items used for clients’ events, by utilizing Vendor Managed Inventory principles, facilitating timely transportation and set up of the items.
Engagement with Investors
The Annual General Meetings (AGM) serve as a regular forum of communication for the Company and its shareholders. Moreover, quarterly webcasts and earnings announcements are held by the CFO and CBDO, presenting detailed information to the investor public about Bupa Arabia’s most recent financial performance, and the latest trends and subsequent impacts to the insurance market.